Buenos Aires is blessed with a temperate and sunny climate, which makes it a great destination at any time of the year. Annual average temperatures are around 18ºC (64°F).
BA sits at sea-level on the River Plate. With an annual rainfall of 900mm spread evenly throughout the year, visitors should be prepared for a bit of rain in any season. July is the coldest month, so warm layers are recommended. The summer months of January and February can be especially humid. There are fewer people in the city during these summer months and some businesses and entertainment venues close down. It is highly recommended that visitors bring high-factor sunscreen during the warmer seasons, as well as mosquito repellent.
– Summer: 21 December – 20 March
– Autumn: 21 March – 20 June
– Winter: 21 June – 20 September
– Spring: 21 September – 20 December
Average Monthly Temperatures
– January 30.4ºC (87ºF) – 20.4ºC (69ºF)
– February 28ºC (84ºF) – 19.4ºC (67ºF)
– March 26.4ºC (80ºF) – 17ºC (63ºF)
– April 22.7ºC (73ºF) – 13.7ºC (57ºF)
– May 19ºC (66ºF) – 10.3ºC (51ºF)
– June 15.6ºC (60ºF) – 7.6ºC (46ºF)
– July 14.9ºC (59ºF) – 7.4ºC (45ºF)
– August 17.3ºC (63ºF) – 8.9ºC (48ºF)
– September 18.9ºC (66ºF) – 9.9ºC (50ºF)
– October 22.5ºC (73ºF) – 13ºC (55ºF)
– November 25.3ºC (78ºF) – 15.9ºC (61ºF)
– December 28.1ºC (83ºF) – 18.4ºC (65ºF)
• Veranito de San Juan: around 24 June (date of the birth of Saint John the Baptist), it is not unusual for temperatures to rise to up to 24°C (75°F) for several days. Be prepared to see winter sunbathers sunning themselves in parks and plazas.
• Tormenta de Santa Rosa: Around 30 August (festival of Santa Rosa), electrical storms and heavy rainfall often signal the end of winter and the approach of spring.
• Snow in Buenos Aires: OK, so it’s only happened twice in recorded memory (22-23 June 1918 and 9 July 2007), but it got us excited.